Charleston region residents will learn about two FREE options to compost their home food scraps, and take home a FREE kitchen compost caddy!
Learn how to compost home food scraps at this FREE workshop!
There are two options available to residents in the greater Charleston region to compost their food scraps for FREE:
- Drop off your food scraps at designated drop sites, learn more at charleston-sc.gov/compost
- Home Composting: utilize your yard or patio and keep your compost for use in your home garden.
This workshop will describe both options in greater detail and provide tools and resources to help residents get started composting either way they choose (or both!).
- Composting 101 (5 mins)
- Food Scrap Drop-off Program: How it Works (10 mins.)
- How commercial composting works locally (5 mins)
- Accepted items for composting (10 mins)
- Composting at Home: Instructions and Tips (15 mins)
Attendees will receive a FREE kitchen compost caddy and a starter roll of BPI certified compostable bags to get started. (1 caddy per household)
Space is limited. Please RSVP.
All compost workshops will cover the same content and are open to all residents in the greater Charleston area.
This event is co-hosted by the City of Isle of Palms, City of Charleston and Charleston County, with support from many partners, including the City of Folly Beach, SCDHEC, Smart Recycling, McGill Compost, the Coastal Conservation League, the Charleston Parks Conservancy, MUSC, and the College of Charleston. Special thanks also to our facility hosts!
For questions, please call Katie at 724-3789
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, people who need alternative formats, ASL (American Sign Language) Interpretation or other accommodation please contact Janet Schumacher at (843) 577-1389 or email to email@example.com at least three days prior to the meeting.